Wednesday, July 16, 2008

God Bless England

This post made me happy. The smile will probably last all day. What other country could produce a list of churches like this?

St Mary the Virgin Elsenham, Essex
Christ Church Chadderton, Manchester
Loxbeare Church Tiverton, N Devon
St John's Church Polegate, Sussex
St Nicholas Tooting, London
Evangelical Fellowship of Irish Clergy
St Laurence Church Eastwood, Essex
Episcopal Orthodox Mission in Italy


Loxbeare is just fun to say out loud. Polegate is a nifty name for a town. Chadderton is also amusing (are the people there particularly loquacious?).

But the winner, hands down, is St Nicholas Tooting, London. Google reveals that Tooting is an area of greater London. But the name for me conjures up a church named after a gassy Santa Claus. Since that is funnier, I choose to believe that over the facts. It's the Anglican thing to do.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

But not on the list yet, though soon to be, I hope, is St Peter's Ugley, where I do most of my parish work.

Abri said...

Saw a link to your blog from the Stand Firm comments today. Love the list of churches ... when I was studying abroad in London I attended St. George's Holborn, and occasionally Holy Trinity Brompton, which aren't nearly as fun to say.

But what I really wanted to comment on was "Since that is funnier, I choose to believe that over the facts. It's the Anglican thing to do." I literally laughed out loud. I also laughed out loud at "The Episcopal Church: Challenging your Christian Faith for over thirty years." My family attends The Falls Church in Northern Virginia.

Keep it up, love the posts!