Monday, March 10, 2008

Retro Goodness

Back in my youth I was a role player. We would play Dungeons and Dragons as well as lesser known games such as GURPS, Twilight 2000, Traveler, Star Wars, Paranoia (my favourite) and TORG. TORG was a meta role playing game in the sense that you could use the same system in several different settings. You could play in the medieval fantasy setting, pulp horror, Pellucidar, cyberpunk and others.

The setting we kept returning to was straight pulp fiction. One of the characters I ran was 'Fighting Father Bob McGarrity', founder and head of Kidsville. Old movie buffs will have spotted what genre of black and white movies I ripped off for that character.

So, imagine my delight when I saw this gem at the book store today. I don't care if the characterization is thin. Pulp fiction is a joy all of its own and I for one intend to wallow for a while in purple prose and airborne fisticuffs.

No comments: