Saturday, July 14, 2007

The State of Fiction

I read a variety of fiction. About the only genre I don't read is romance, and I catch some of that in cross-over form. What I've been noticing lately is how unsatisfactory a lot of modern fiction is. By that I mean, there's a lack of quality to it. Especially in the 'literature' category itself.

I haven't enjoyed reading a new serious book of fiction in a very long time. The trash categories are better, but not by much. I'm not seeing any really gripping thrillers, I'm solving the mysteries in the first chapter or so and don't get me started on fantasy. There's simply less science fiction being published, and little enough of that is the hard science fiction I truly prefer.

I can't decide if the lack of good reads is due to my standards having been raised (which doesn't seem likely) or a drop in quality or quantity.

No comments: