Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Irredeemable

I'm currently listening to Jasper Fforde's latest Thursday Next book, First Among Sequels. It's an excellent listen but I'm close to the end. That's good.

Up next is a book by Martha Stout: "The Sociopath Next Door". I suspect it's going to be fairly pop psychology, but I have a great interest in the subject of antisocial personality disorder. I've known at least two church leaders who were sociopaths, in my opinion. I've known others in the secular world that have shown signs of being that way. None of the ones I've known are anything close to the popular image of a sociopath as a serial killer.

The problem of sociopathy is this. Psychology has pretty much abandoned any hope of treating it. At least that's my understanding of modern psychology. How does one convert a sociopath? How do you bring a man without a conscience to Christ? I know that with God all things are possible, but this, along with the problem of pain are the two great challenges to my faith. How can a woman without love and without knowledge of sin come to God?

I wish I knew an answer to that.

No comments: